COUNSELLOR, COACH AND TRAINER
ABN 85 424 732 390
PhD (Eng) Dip. Couns.
Phone: (02) 4473 7840
Mobile: 0411 346 563
Australian Counselling Association Level 2 (MACA)
Registered provider – National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Registered provider – Family and Community Services (FACS)
- Generalist counselling with a theoretical slant towards Positive Psychology, Narratology, Motivational Interviewing and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Some of my referring clients include Docs/Facs, CarersNsw, Family Support, Mackillop, Bega and Eurobodalla Shire Councils.
- NDIS registered counsellor providing psychological support for people with disability. Referring agencies include Roundsquared, Yumaro, Disability Trust and Katungul.
- Suicide prevention counselling
- External supervision for case managers at Mission, Family Support and Eurobodalla Shire Council.
- Group training and education: designing and facilitating personal development courses.
Combining Positive Psychology with Acceptance and Commitment therapy, I aim to create an empathic and supportive environment in which individuals develop a greater sense of self-determination as they confront difficulties, meet challenges and manage change in their lives.
Born in the U.K., I completed my formal education at the universities of East Anglia and York and embarked on a career teaching English and Drama in a series of high schools culminating in an eight year spell as Head of English at King Edward VIth School in Bury St. Edmunds.
In 1987 I moved to Australia after completing an exchange year in Wollongong. I went on, during the following years, to complete an MA and then a PhD in Australian Literature at the University of Wollongong. And then in 2003 I resigned from my position as Head of Drama at the Illawarra Grammar School to move down to Bermagui, gateway to the beautiful Sapphire Coast in the southern corner of New South Wales.
Falling under the influence of my future wife, a psychologist and school counsellor, I began to take a deep interest in the transformative power of psychotherapy. Shortly after our first son, was born, we moved lock, stock and barrel down to Bermagui, where after completing a course of study in counselling, I set up my own business. Our second son, arrived in 2005 and we now live a life of gratitude and tranquility overlooking the stunningly beautiful Wallaga Lake.